Unpacking Emotional Management in Y3

Back in October, we were lucky enough to unpack the SEARCH framework with the support of our Teacher Librarian, Leanne Sercombe, using hexagonal thinking. The students put single thoughts and ideas on separate hexagons and then made connections, joining the hexagons as their thinking developed.

Today in circle time, we revisited Emotional Management. The students reminded themselves of their original thinking around what Emotional Management is and what is involved, as well as how it is very closely connected to other parts of the SEARCH framework. (They felt that there was an especially strong connection to Coping and Relationships).

We then all set an Emotional Management goal for the week. The purpose of this in circle time was to be present in the moment, saying the goal out loud also added accountability for myself and the students. I was blown away by how deep their thinking is about this and how, at only 7 years old, they can articulate a realistic, relevant and appropriate goal for themselves. Some great examples were: “I will count to ten in my head if I get upset or frustrated, before I react”. “If someone annoys me, I will ignore them, and if that doesn’t work, I will speak to them about it, and if that doesn’t work, I will walk away, and if THAT doesn’t work, I will ask for help.”  ” I will use my strong relationships to help me react calmly if I get in a stressful situation.”

Monday morning. Feeling accomplished.

Kim Ward